Monday 24 June 2013

Charity Head Shave. One Woman's Experience.

For some time I had wanted to do something to raise money for charity so I organised a charity head shave for Clic Sargent - Big Buzz. My lovely friends and family begun to donate immediately and I was so overwhelmed by their generosity, but of course this meant I would have to actually shave my head, oh and by the way, what on earth was I thinking?

I began my "research" immediately! I wanted to read blogs, watch videos and look at pictures of women with shaved heads. I wondered "What would I look like? How would I be treated? Would I still be attractive?" One thing I was extremely curious about is how my hair would grow back. What I learnt was yes, you can be beautiful with a shaved head, whoever said hair makes you beautiful anyway? Just look at these women:

Head shave day! We made a video for my friends and family. I felt nervous but strangely detached.

Once it was done I was actually pleasantly surprised, I looked better than I thought I would. My only concern came from how others would react!

I liked you better with hair but I still love you.” - (my 5 year old)

My shaved head:

Before and After.
Some people have been so lovely, but If you are thinking of shaving your head I must be honest and say not everyone has reacted positively, even though I tell them I shaved my head for charity. I've had a lot of  comments like "But why? Your hair was so lovely!" and "Well, thankfully it will grow back!" yes this is true but It's hardly necessary to tell me! I can only react by smiling and saying "I quite like it!" It immediately disarms them. Of course the people who stare at you but don't say anything are even worse. The key is: learn not to care!

It's been three weeks since I shaved my head and these are the things I have learnt so far:

  • Getting ready in the morning takes half the time.
  • That first time out of the house was the hardest.
  • I love that clean head feeling after a shower.
  • I love the breeze on my scalp on a hot day.
  • I have saved money on hair products!
  • For the first week I kept forgetting my head was shaved and shocking myself every time I walked past a mirror.
  • I don't have to care if my hair gets wet in the rain.
  • I actually feel more confident, because I can never have a bad hair day, my hair is what it is.
  • I have the opportunity to 'start afresh' with my hair which is exciting.
  • I smile more to convince people I'm fine with it. Smiling makes me feel good! 
  • At around 3 weeks my hair entered the awkward 'fuzzy' phase.

I would really recommend raising money for charity this way, It's a big gesture people will feel compelled to donate but as a side effect you will learn much about yourself and your ideas of beauty. I'm a good mother, I'm a good wife, I'm a good woman, why does it matter If I have hair?



Thank you for reading!

1 comment: